Friday, January 9, 2009

Nothing exciting

This post is not about anything very exciting. It is just a little about what we are going through right now with Malachi.

Most of you know that Malachi has never been a sleeper. Since he was born I started a very bad habbit and it has not been broken yet. I would feed and rock him to sleep. I felt that it was what I was supposed to do as a new mom. He was a pretty good sleeper, wake up once or twice at night to eat and take some good naps during the day. Once he turned about three months old naps were not in his schedule on a regular basis and we were still getting up at night to eat. I thought wow when I can start him on food it will get better and he will start sleeping all night. Well that time came and he still woke up 2 - 3 times a night. At first I did not mind these wake-up class in the middle of the night, since I am a working mom I felt that it was my special time with him. I soon figured out that he does not really need to eat during the night but just wanted to be close. We did one thing right by never allowing him to sleep in bed with us. Yeah! one good parenting move on our part.

We tried a couple of times to let him cry it out. We started with letting him cry when he was going to bed. For about a week he would cry for 15 min and then drift off to sleep. This was good b/c he was only waking up in the night once and he would cry a little and then fall back asleep. So our hopes were up and every once and a while he would sleep all night!! That would only last one night at a time and I think I can count on one hand how many times he has slept the whole night.

I have to say being an infant must be tough. As soon as we thought he was sleeping well he would either get sick or start cutting teeth. Ok, my son had 16 teeth by the time he was 1 so his mouth is full. You can only imagine what he was going through. He would get two teeth at a time. So we would have to start all over again after the teething stopped. We finally got to the point where it was not worth the fight for a week for him just to start teething again.

This leads us up to date. He is still not sleeping during the night. Everything I read says take away a nap during the day. I cannot do that b/c at daycare he only takes maybe a 30 min nap!! So what else am I supposed to do. Daniel is going on a hunting trip so I think I am going to break down and do some tough love for those days Daniel is gone. Even though Daniel keeps telling me he does not hear Malachi I am still on edge that Malachi will wake Daniel up during the night. So we will see how the week goes at the end of the month.

I will update how my tough love goes at the end of the month.

1 comment:

JimKels said...

Wow girl...that totally sucks!!! Wesleigh has been a champion sleeper from the beginning, sleeping through the night since at least 4 months old. I am terrified that when Ethan arrives in about 3 weeks that he won't be such a champion sleeper!! I am keeping my fingers crossed. I just now stopped rocking Wesleigh to sleep for bed, I never rocked him or naps, but I always did at bed time...more b/c I needed it than he did!! I hope that y'all get it worked out before too long, I can't imagine how exhausting it must be for you to get up in the night, then still have to get up for work!! Many prayers for you!!