Monday, April 7, 2008

Hard Being a Parent

It is hard being a parent. Malachi is now 6 1/2 months old and should be sleeping through the night. There was a week that he slept all night and I thought praise you Lord I am going to finally get a full night's rest! WRONG! The next week and after that he has been up three times a night. I keep telling myself "this weekend I am going to just let him cry". Well I know if he eats he will go right back to bed so my will power has not been very strong. Saturday evening he eat really well at dinner so I thought great he has to sleep all night tonight. NO WRONG AGAIN!! He woke up 6 times for only 5 min each time for me to bounce him and go right back to sleep. So Sunday I thought that is it I am not doing this anymore, at this point it is just for me. I am being selfish by taking that time with him when he really needs to be sleeping.

So lastnight I prepared myself before I went to bed to let him cry. He woke up at 12:41 and I let him cry for about 10 min and I thought I will go and just check on him. So I went in bouned him for about 10 min and he fell asleep. As soon as I laid him down he woke-up so I did some things around the house I needed to do, read by bible, cried a little, and decided to get some laundry done. About an hour later Daniel woke up and we decided that we should at least check on him. Daniel got him back to sleep twice but I guess he thought his bed had pins in it so he passed him on to me. 10 min later he was out and out for good. Our bed had never felt better. Malachi slept til 4:30, eat and went back to sleep until 7:00 this morning. Tonight we have to be stronger and let him cry longer if he needs to b/c he has to learn to self sooth and sleep on his own.

So WOW all of this to say being a parent is hard and sometimes you have to cry right along with your child!

No comments: